Menu

Blog

10 Scriptures to Pray for the Church

I had the privilege of attending a week-long Bible conference several years ago, and the pastor taught on prayer the entire week. Each session was filled with biblical teaching and tons of practical application, both of which I love. Needless to say, I took good notes. It was an incredible time spent learning what God’s Word has to say about prayer. One session was specifically focused on praying for the church. I loved the challenge to be on my knees for the church, and I think that as Christians, we really miss this. We pray for the lost, as we should, but do we spend time praying for the church and its leaders? It’s important to remember that our churches are filled with fallen, sinful people – people in just as much need of grace as anyone, and the church needs prayer just as much as those outside of the church. I invite you to join me in this challenge. Use the list of Scriptures below, and spend some time this week praying for your church home, the place you worship each week. Grab your Bible, and look up each verse. Underline the verses if you want to. Perhaps you’d like to journal out your prayers. In the weeks and months to come, I pray that you can look back on those journal entries and see how God has already begun to answer your prayers. Prayer is powerful, and prayer changes things. Let’s get on our knees before an almighty God and lift up His church. Pray with boldness; pray with expectancy; pray believing in faith that God is more than able to accomplish His purposes in your church.

10 Scriptures to Pray for the Church
1. 2 Timothy 4:2 – Pray that the church will preach the Word of God without apology.
2. Colossians 4:2 – Pray that the church would devote itself to prayer.
3. Acts 4:12 – Pray that the church will boldly share Jesus as the only hope for salvation.
4. John 4:24 – Pray that the church will worship God in spirit and in truth.
5. 1 Peter 5:2-3 – Pray that our leaders will serve humbly as godly examples to all.
6. Colossians 1:28-29 – Pray that the church will labor and strive to present everyone mature in Christ.
7. Matthew 9:37-38 – Pray that more workers step up to faithfully serve.
8. Ephesians 4:11-12 – Pray that our leaders equip the saints for the work of ministry.
9. Revelation 2:4-5 – Pray that the church does not lose its first love.
10. Matthew 16:18 – Pray that we will trust Jesus to grow the church.

36 Comments

sipho

thank you for the 10 verses to pray for the church. first time to see them in this manner may God richly bless you for this . i am in jhb soweto and i am a pastor.

April 9, 2013 at 5:39 pm

pope

Nice post! The church is the last hope of world! So it has to be well equipped well to pass it on..

May 1, 2013 at 8:11 am

Pst. UWEM EBONG

I love the inspiration of God in you. You have bless the entire church of jesus with this points, i pray God to bless you in return.

May 17, 2013 at 7:44 am

Christian Gama

Thank you very much for your wonderful guide to prayer! I believe someone else will come up with verses for other prayer points for such entities like family, marriages, health/sickness, nations, etc.
May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you abundantly not only for the verses but for the great light you have shone onto us!

May 23, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Israel Adjei Boateng

The church needs to be revived in this end times, and it can only come through prayer. Let us encourage ourselves in prayer

June 18, 2013 at 7:19 am

Portia

Amazing my sister. God richly bless your ministry. It is a wonderful call.

June 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm

zamo

Thank you my sister may God bless you and your family.

June 29, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Faith

Thanks Cherie. These verses will surely help me. I am on fasting and prayer and ive been praying about things that concern my personal life. Yesterday I felt an impression to pray for the church. This morning I woke up and I was like ‘Holy Spirit guide me because I dont know what and how to pray for the church’ God bless you and your ministry.

July 18, 2013 at 10:31 am

eke

God bless you for this inspirational prayer points for the church. am keying in to it today

July 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Ojelabi from Nigeria

The prayer points are inspirational and timely for the church.May God contineu to bless you and your ministry.

July 19, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Kazenieli Msemo

Thank you for indicating specific areas to pray for the church and the work of the ministry. It helps in being focused and effective. God bless you.

August 9, 2013 at 10:13 am

. Alswell wellington

i was really blessed by these inspiring message. God bless you as you pray for the church.thank you

August 20, 2013 at 6:00 am

Monica

its 12:00mn and I asked the Lord to guide me in prayer for all the Churches in the East Midlands and look at what I found, I can’t believe it!! Thank you for letting the Lord lead you. I’m going to ask the congregation on Sunday to pray these prayers with me and we will watch what the Lord will do, Thank you and stay blessed, in Jesus name Amen

August 22, 2013 at 11:15 pm

stephanie

Thank you so much for the scriptures. It will definitely help for pray night. Usually you don’t think about praying for the church, which we as Christians are the church. But you think that you should pray for outside the church and not inside. May God continue to bless you each and every day. In Jesus Christ name Amen.

September 6, 2013 at 8:35 pm

harison

Amazing Scriptures. May The Lord richly Bless you. Please check on http://www.repentandpreparetheway.org To see messages by The Mighty End Time Prophet Dr. David Owuor

September 13, 2013 at 10:43 am

Kazeem

This prayer point are blessing to me and the people of God, God bless you

September 13, 2013 at 8:59 pm

omoniyi

Good verses for praying for the churches, thank you and God bless.

October 7, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Pastor Charles P. McWhales

Just to let you know that we used the 10 verses to pray for our new church.

October 10, 2013 at 3:47 am

fannie

Wow you guyz are amazing thank you so much for this verses we are having a prayer this week to pray for churches but I ddn’t have verses god bless you so much u help me

November 5, 2013 at 8:48 am

Shine Nyoni

I am a Zimbabwean based in South Africa, where am fellowishipping the church leaders have choosen me to lead intercession on a sunday morning and I have really found this prolific and profound let alone very relevant. Thank you very much for sharing this with us. May God bless you and your ministry.

December 25, 2013 at 5:10 am

mr emeka adigwe

greetings.please pray that the LORD helps me to find a wife.please pray that i have concentration at work.thanks,and amen.

January 12, 2014 at 11:58 am

banana barbara Mudanga

Thank you very much my sister. You are blessing to the world. this week . You Guide is going to be helpful in our prayers esp Nos. 1,3,7,10. May God bless you for sharing

January 20, 2014 at 11:07 am

mr emeka adigwe

greetings in Christ’s name.please pray that i find a wife,and get married.thanks,and amen.

February 16, 2014 at 1:00 pm

mr emeka adigwe

greetings in CHRIST’s name.please pray that the Lord helps me to find a wife.also,please pray that i can attend church on sunday evenings.thanks,and amen.

March 23, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Glladys Nwaedo

I so much thank God for your life, you have really done well, may God increase your faith and grant you more grace in JESUS name Amen.

April 4, 2014 at 10:33 am

Joseph Gakura

As I read this 10…. ,I pray my God to help me know I am in a prayer, in Jesus name I pray.Amen.
Remember the church and me my Sister.

Can God? God can.

April 17, 2014 at 7:29 pm

vivian

Thank for sharing these bible passages to pray for the church. More anointing in Jesus, name.

April 25, 2014 at 6:04 am

Joann Epps

I thank you and i appreciate the scriptures for the church all of them is so needed. II will add these scriptures to my list of prayers to be prayed May 1 National Day Of Prayer and at other times too.God bless you.

April 28, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Fadesomi

Thank you so much for sharing this with the world. It’s really helpful. I pray that because you have done God’s work, He will continue to enrich you in all things in Jesus name. God bless you. Amen.

May 21, 2014 at 8:11 am

Simmy

Thank you, very helpful! God bless you.

May 28, 2014 at 5:42 am

caroline

Thank u so much for these verses, God bless u.AMEN

July 5, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Pray on purpose | My Everyday God

[…] Praying for my church […]

August 29, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Julius Wosowei

Thanks for the bible based prayers. It’s interesting. I am a pastor in Nigeria.

September 3, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Paul Agu

Cherie Wagner,the prayer points and its accompanying bible references depicts an ear leaning on the heart of Jesus Christ to hear His heartbeat.These are prayers that churches should embark on.remain blessed.

September 8, 2014 at 5:21 pm

sherry

Be blessed my sister may our good God keep on widening you in the spirit to inspire more

September 9, 2014 at 6:48 am

stephen yeboah

I just dont know wht to say. God bless you.

October 7, 2014 at 1:28 am