I posted this particular blog over a year ago, and it continues to receive feedback from readers around the globe. So, I thought I would re-post, and I’d ask you to share it with the ministry leaders at your church. Prayer is powerful, and prayer changes things. Let’s commit to getting on our knees for the church and to wait with expectancy to see all that God will do.
Several years ago, I had the privilege of attending a week-long Bible conference, and one of the pastors taught on prayer the entire week. Each session was filled with biblical teaching and tons of practical application, both of which I love. Needless to say, I took good notes. It was an incredible time spent learning what God’s Word has to say about prayer. One session was specifically focused on praying for the church. I loved the challenge to be on my knees for the church, and I think that as Christians, we tend to really miss this. We pray for the lost, as we should, but do we spend time praying for the church and its leaders? It’s important to remember that our churches are filled with fallen, broken, sinful people – people in just as much need of grace as anyone, and the church needs prayer. I invite you to join me in this challenge. Use the list of Scriptures below, and spend some time this week praying for your church, the place you worship each week. Grab your Bible, and look up each verse. I have intentionally not linked each reference so you’ll need to look them up for yourself. Underline the verses in your Bible if you want to – whatever it takes to remember them. Perhaps you’d like to journal out your prayers. Tweet or Facebook your pastor one of the verses, and let him know that you’re praying for him. In the weeks and months to come, I pray that you can look back on those journal entries and see how God has begun to answer your prayers. Let’s get on our knees before an almighty God and lift up His church. Pray with boldness; pray with expectancy; pray believing in faith that God is more than able to accomplish His purposes in your church.
10 Scriptures to Pray for the Church
1. 2 Timothy 4:2 – Pray that the church will preach the Word of God without apology.
2. Colossians 4:2 – Pray that the church would devote itself to prayer.
3. Acts 4:12 – Pray that the church will boldly share Jesus as the only hope for salvation.
4. John 4:24 – Pray that the church will worship God in spirit and in truth.
5. 1 Peter 5:2-3 – Pray that our leaders will serve humbly as godly examples to all.
6. Colossians 1:28-29 – Pray that the church will labor and strive to present everyone mature in Christ.
7. Matthew 9:37-38 – Pray that more workers step up to faithfully serve.
8. Ephesians 4:11-12 – Pray that our leaders equip the saints for the work of ministry.
9. Revelation 2:4-5 – Pray that the church does not lose its first love.
10. Matthew 16:18 – Pray that we will trust Jesus to grow the church.