I’m not sure it can be emphasized enough how important it is to not only know what you believe, but also to know why you believe it. Do you believe because you were told to believe it? Do you believe because you had an experience that compels you to believe it? Do you believe because it’s truth?
What do you believe and why do you believe it?
I know that there are many who claim the name “Christian” that perhaps have some strong convictions about certain things but have no idea what the Bible teaches about those very things. Why am I so bold and confident to make such a statement? Because I have witnessed this to be true not only in my own life but in the lives of countless people that I know. Women that I share Bible study tables with. Strangers that I invite into my home. Family members, friends, church goers, and the list goes on. I can remember years ago adamantly refusing to budge from a theological position I once held purely because of an experience I had, while completely disregarding what God’s Word had to say about it. It’s time that we know what God’s Word says. It’s time our convictions and beliefs are molded and shaped by His Word. It’s time, church.
While this will not be an exhaustive list of everything that Christians believe, I want to give you some of the non-negotiables. I’ll start with five, and I’ll share a few more in tomorrow’s post.
1. Christians believe that there is only one true God.
– “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.” Deuteronomy 6:4
– “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am He. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.” Isaiah 43:10
– “This is what the LORD says, Israel’s King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.” Isaiah 44:6
2. Christians believe that God has always existed and will always exist.
– “Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.” Psalm 90:2
– “Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.” 1 Timothy 1:17
3. Christians believe that God was not created but is Creator.
– “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1
– “LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth.” Isaiah 37:16
4. Christians believe that God is perfect, and no one is equal to Him.
– “There is no one holy like the LORD; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.” 1 Samuel 2:2
– “To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?” says the Holy One. Isaiah 40:25
5. Christians believe in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and that His sacrifice on the cross atoned for our sin and provided salvation for everyone who would believe.
– “Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith. For the joy set before Him He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2
– “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12
Yes, Amen. God’s Word living through us.
Debie Bradshaw says
Absolutely….all five are non-negotiable!!!